To inspire the discovery and celebration of jazz — in all its’ many genres and forms — through live and recorded performances, education and outreach activities that create a lasting love and appreciation for America’s original art form — across diverse cultures and generations.
- Jazz cannot be defined; it must be experienced.
- The Great Lakes Jazz Society is dedicated to the promotion and preservation of jazz — past, present, and future.
Our commitment is:
- To support current jazz artists by expanding their exposure to different communities throughout the Great Lakes region and beyond.
- To promote the advancement of new and aspiring jazz artists in their pursuit to re-imagine and reinvent jazz, in all its’ complexities and creative expressions — today and in the future.
- To nurture the next generation of jazz musicians by providing music lessons and instruments to underserved children who might otherwise not have the opportunity to develop their musical talents
- To provide all generations of jazz lovers with opportunities to experience recorded and live performances of jazz music and artists that are currently not available in mainstream media or entertainment outlets.
- To offer free and affordable performances of local, regional, national, and international jazz artists— to seniors, families with children and young adults residing in communities that are currently not exposed to world-class jazz.
“The Great Lakes Jazz Society is supported in part by American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds allocated by the City of Toledo and the Lucas County Commissioners and administered by The Arts Commission”